Feel good friday this week is all about allowing the appreciation. Letting it in. We are programmed to re-buff compliments, ‘what? this old thing?’ ‘Oh, it was nothing’, ‘yes, but yours is far prettier’ … how would it be if we practiced letting them in, ‘oh, thank you’, ‘I worked on it for ages, thank you for noticing’, ‘it’s my favourite too’.
Earlier this week I received an email from Gina at Party of Eight blog saying she had nominated me for a Liebster award. Exciting! And a lovely compliment, which I am gratefully receiving, and celebrating too. I love my blog, I put thought and time into making it what it is, and it really is a gift to learn that other people see it and love it too. So, thank you Gina, your appreciation is welcome, and accepted, and I am so looking forward to passing it on!
So what is the Liebster Award you ask?
“The Liebster Blog Award is an award given by bloggers to up and coming bloggers, most of whom have less than 200 followers (or have been blogging for less than 6 months). It is to show newer bloggers that they are appreciated, and to help spread the word about new blogs. It was created to promote appreciation and recognition among the blog world. Liebster translates to “dearest” (or favorite/best) in German. It is also known as the Love Blog Award.”
One of my favourite things about blogging is it helps me to notice the good things in life – yes, you’ve heard me say it before. And surely a good thing is receiving appreciation and support from others.
I hopped over to Gina’s blog to read her Liebster post
and discovered a bundle of blogs that I would not have otherwise known about. Along with this award comes a few rules:
1. You must post 11 random things about yourself.
2. Answer the 11 questions given by the nominator.
3. Create 11 new questions for those you nominate.
4. Choose 11 new blogs (less than 200 followers or blogging for less than 6 months) and link to them in your post. (will those i nominate please leave a comment on this post with a link to your Liebster post so I can learn more about you? Thank you!!)
So … here goes!
Eleven random things about me!
~ I ballroom danced up to Gold medal standard as a child (I know!)
~ I can’t choose a favourite colour ~ they are all so lovely
~ there is so much wonderful stuff to learn I fear I will run out of time
~ I love my job
~ I can procrastinate for England … make it an Olympic sport ~ I will win!
~ I just celebrated the 25 year anniversary of meeting Mr P (my lovely husband)
~ I still have the teddy bear my grandparents gave to me on my first Christmas – he lives on my bed
~ Being an Auntie is just about my favourite thing
~ I love cooking risotto
~ I believe life is all about the choices we make
~ choosing number 11 is really hard because it is the last one, and my inner procrastinator is worried I might get it wrong … welcome to my world!
Eleven questions from Gina
1. What is your favorite thing about blogging?
~ blogging helps me to notice all the good things in life, I capture them in words or pictures and share them with anyone who happens to drop by!
2. What is your biggest sewing accomplishment so far? or what is something you have mastered that you once dreaded sewing?
~ just this week I have had success with a walking foot ~ following a year of struggling with the ‘wrong’ walking foot, this is a real breakthrough ~ quilting finally feels possible!
3. Why did you start a blog?
~ as I said above, I wanted to help myself to take note of the good things in life, and a blog seemed as good a place as any to do that. Maybe it feels more accountable than a diary or notebook. And the sharing bit is key too!
4. Do you currently work in the field you were trained or studied to be in?
~ My working life has been a process of evolution ~ I love my current job and feel that I do it well, but there were never any ‘plans’ … just opportunities and leaps of faith.
5. What is your favorite month of the year and why?
~ April ~ for it’s greenness; September ~ for the light; January ~ for new beginnings … I’m rubbish at choosing favourites!
6. What is your favorite color/color combo?
~ I have loads … at the moment I love that kind of yellow/chartreuse shade which has a taste of the 1950′s about it … team it with a grey or some teal and I am happy!
7. What do you like about where you live?
~ The light that floods through my windows; the feeling of being rooted in the community; the apple orchards and strawberry fields; the antique shops; the Norman churches; the rural accents; the security of the familiar; the visibility of the turning of the seasons; and the cider!
8. How long have you been sewing and why did you learn to sew?
~ I think I first stitched something in Junior school – aged about 8 maybe! I learned improvised sewing techniques through trial and error in my teens because I wanted to make and customise clothing. More recently I have been skill building at the sewing machine simply because the process brings me a great sense of calm, and the results a great sense of achievement.
9. Have you lived in other places (cities or countries) than where you live now?
~ I currently live in the county of Herefordshire in England. I was born in the county of Suffolk, and lived there until my family moved to Herefordshire when I was four. In my late teens I lived in Earls Court and Dulwich in London. I also lived on Tresco in the Isles of Scilly for nine months whilst cleaning holiday cottages! I returned to Herefordshire at the age of 20 and have been here since.
10. What is the best thing to happen in your life so far?
~ Is it boring to say my marriage? I love my marriage – it gives me security and freedom all at the same time.
11. How long did it take you to write your Liebster post? Inquiring minds want to know!?!
I wrote it in three sittings, over two days … maybe between one and two hours, or maybe up to four hours … I haven’t timed it! … is that a long time?
Eleven questions for my nominated blogs …
1. What gets you out of bed in the morning?
2. Who do you admire?
3. If I gave you £100 /$100 what would you spend it on?
4. Sausages or prawns?
5. What is the last thing you read?
6. What is the last thing you made?
7. What is your favourite childhood memory?
8. What makes you laugh out loud?
9. If you had to choose a word to describe today – what would it be?
10. Mountain top or beach?
11. Why do you blog?
And finally ~ the blogs I would like to pass this award on to are …
1. The Love what you Wear Project
2. My make do and mend year
3. Live. Grow. Nourish. Create
4. Stitches Studio
5. Rubie Magpie
6. Late to Create
7. thRED head
8. my little red suitcase
9. duck egg threads
10. joy for grace
11. Buzzing Around
There is a host of creative goodness and beautiful blogging in this list ~ make yourself a cuppa and enjoy a little tour of them all!
I have just realised this is my first ever photo-free blog post! Wishing you all a warm and cosy weekend.